Confirmation Program 2021
This page is for those students in St. Francis Xavier School and our Public School of Religion who are currently in the eighth grade in the 2020/2021 school year.
This program is led by Deacon Bob and Dawn Cavanaugh (330-764-8958).
Welcome to the new year of Confirmation at St. Francis Xavier Parish. We are excited to share this journey with you and your family. If you have registered you should have been notified by email when your small group is meeting and attended the “Welcome” Zoom session. If you did not receive an email with your small group, please contact Dawn Cavanaugh immediately. If you have not yet registered please click the button below.
Here’s the plan:
This year we will be meeting monthly in small groups. All groups meet in the Randel House on their designated day and time. Each month students will discuss different topics in our Catholic faith and deepen their relationship with God on a journey towards the final Sacrament of Initiation, Confirmation.
We have moved to a program by Ascension Press, called Chosen. Students are given a packet with a workbook for them, a guide for parents and a guide for their sponsor. Only the students attend the monthly meetings, but parents and sponsors will be participating and following along in their guide books.
Confirmation Rehearsal Date(s) TBD
Confirmation Mass Date(s) TBD
Each teen preparing for confirmation must attend one retreat sponsored by our parish.
Retreat opportunities will be offered in late summer/early fall. Dates are TBD and will be listed when finalized.
Forms You’ll Need
- Stewardship project forms
Due date TBD
Each parent and teen will complete a Confirmation Stewardship project together. The activity should take 2 hours. Teens will also do 2 hours of service as a small group. See below for some ideas. We want them to serve God’s people…the hungry, homeless and sick. If you are unsure if your idea qualifies, email Dawn at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 330-764-8958. After the project is completed, complete two Google forms (the teen and the parent forms linked above).
We encounter the Lord in service to the least among us, and each teen is asked to complete service hours and reflect on that experience (see link above). Here are some ways you can do that. This list was prepared in June 2020 and updated in January 2021. We recommend you contact each organization to confirm details.
Outdoor work, pruning trees, moving branches, clean-up, mowing
Children’s Center of Medina County – 724 E. Smith Road (Call Melissa at 330-591-2687 to set up time)
Weed flower beds/trim bushes/plant flowers
- Oasis of Hope – 710 N. Court St. (Call Tracy at 330-723-3600 to set up time.) Bring weeding and trimming tools.
- SHC/The Arc – The LINK building and the main office, also some of their client’s homes. (Call or email Joan: 440-478-4669 or email@example.com to set up time.) Bring your tools for weeding, planting, and trimming. Plants will be supplied.
- Samaritan Care – 806 E. Washington St. – (Call Gail 330-725-4123 to set up time) Bring tools to plant flowers. Make sure Gail will have the flowers there.
- Feeding Medina County – 901 Lafayette Road (email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up time). Seeds and tools provided. Need gloves and substantial shoes (no flip flops or sandals). Park at the armory.
Akron Food Bank 330-535-6900
Feeding Medina County 330-421-4816
Lodi Family Center 330-302-4182
Toys for Tots 234-248-6575
Cleveland Food Bank 216-738-2265