Father Thomas P. Kowatch, Parochial Vicar
Fr. Thom Kowatch was born Jan. 11, 1957, and grew up on the west side of Cleveland. He is the son of Ruth and Paul (deceased), and has one brother and two sisters. He is the baby of the family! His family “homestead” now is in North Olmsted.
He attended St. Thomas More Parish School, Rhodes High School, North Olmsted High (1975 graduate), Borromeo College of Ohio (BS in psychology and communications, 1979) and St. Mary Graduate School of Theology (Master of Divinity Degree, 1984).
He was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Cleveland on Jan. 12, 1985, by the Most Rev. Anthony M. Pilla. He has served the following assignments:
- Immaculate Heart of Mary (Cleveland), parochial vicar, 1-29-85 to 6-24-86
- Our Lady of Peace, parochial vicar, 6-24-86 to 10-01-87
- Metropolitan General Hospital, chaplain, 10-1-87 to 6-10-90
- St. Matthew, parochial vicar, 6-19-90 to 8-2-95
- Lakewood Hospital, chaplain, 8-2-95 to 2-1-06
- Our Lady of Lourdes, presbyteral moderator, 7-15-04 to 2-1-06
- St. Mary (Elyria), pastor, 2-1-06 to 8-1-07
- Queen of Heaven, parochial vicar, 8-1-07 to 7-1-10
- St. John Medical Center, chaplain, 7-1-10 to 2-24-12
- St. Clement, parochial vicar, 7-23-12 to 1-10-14
- St. Francis Xavier, parochial vicar, 1-10-14 to present
Seeking to enrich couples marriages, he is a presenter for the World Wide Marriage Encounter Movement.
- viewing and collecting lighthouses
- bike rides
- caring for mother and spending time with her
- responding to every request Mom makes
- slot machines
- chicken wings and french fries
- redecorating and painting of rooms
- Canasta card game
- contemporary Christian music (Chris Tomlin, Matt Maher)
- 8-day retreats based on the spirituality of St. Ignatius
- St. Francis Xavier Parish
He dreams of making a return cruise to Alaska, setting up an “N” gauge train set and having a pet dog.